One of the study fields offered by the PRIGO High School is Veterinary Medicine.
43-41-M/01 Veterinary Medicine
Graduates will find employment in the comprehensive block of veterinary-technical activities of an organisational nature and specifically technical jobs as well as in self-employment. Veterinary assistants help veterinarians (under their guidance and responsibility) particularly when monitoring compliance with sanitary conditions in animal husbandry, in production and processing of animal products, when performing allergen diagnostic tests, when inspecting slaughter animals and meat and when carrying out border veterinary inspections. Graduates can work as laboratory assistants or zoo veterinary technicians in livestock and laboratory animal breeding facilities. They will also find employment in breeding establishments, shelters for abandoned animals, stations for endangered species, animal shops, zoos, exotic animal breeding, production and distribution of foodstuffs for animals, product processing on farms, in marketing of veterinary needs, as a self-employed person, etc.
Graduates have the opportunity to find employment in organisations and institutions providing veterinary supervision in processing facilities and in the environmental protection.
After finishing the studies and passing the school-leaving examination successfully, graduates are also ready to study at universities and higher vocational schools.
A part of the education is also the preparation for obtaining the Driving Licence of Category B. During their studies, students can take a course in animal cosmetics, insemination, gamekeeper exams and cloven hoof treatment and obtain the relevant certificates entitling them to perform these activities.
The curriculum and the school educational programme (can be downloaded here – available in the Czech language only).
Admission requirements for the 3rd round
There is only 1 vacancy left for the field of Veterinary Medicine.
If the applicant does not show interest in using the criteria in points 1-8 below), then he / she passes the school entrance examination, which consists of the test of General Study Prerequisites – OSP (example here). Depending on the test result, the candidate can get up to 100 points.
Criteria for recognition of the school part of the examination
1) the average school results from all subjects in the eighth and the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.5 (for both the 8th and 9th grade, only the school results for the first semester are presented)
2) the average school results from all subjects in the eighth or the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.4 (for both the 8th and 9th grade, only the school results for the first semester are presented)
3) the average school results from the three out of four following subjects (Czech Language and Literature, English Language, Mathematics, History) in the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.2 and the total school results from all subjects in the eighth and the ninth year did not exceed the value of 1.9 (for both the 8th and 9th grade, only the school results for the first semester are presented)
4) placement on the 1st – 5th place in the regional or district round of the Mathematical, Chemical, Physical or Biological Olympiad, or other competition equivalent to competitions announced by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (such as Mathematical Kangaroo etc.)
5) based on the current and documented membership in Mensa Czech Republic (IQ value is greater than or equal to 130)
6) placed in the top 30% of a logic competition organized by Mensa Czech Republic in a regional round at least once in the course of studies at the elementary school
7) based on the decision made by the headmistress of PRIGO High School by exercising discretion in the recognition of type-equivalent or similar achievements listed in Point 4) worthy of special consideration
8) the conditions of the uniform (state) entrance examination have been met
9) the conditions of the school entrance examination from the OSP (general study prerequisites) have been met
Prerequisites for acceptance to the field Veterinary Medicine
1) meeting the criteria of the admission procedure
2) providing of medical report proving the applicant’s medical fitness
In accordance with the provisions of Section 60, Paragraph 3 of the Education Act, the school principal decides as follows:
a) for all fields, if the candidate does not meet at least one of the criteria listed in points 1-7), the better of the results in points 8) and 9), ie the state part of the entrance examination or the school entrance examination, will be assessed. For the school part of the entrance exam mentioned 9) the candidate can achieve a maximum of 100 points. The school part must be completed again for the 3rd round of the admission procedure and the school part from the 1st or 2nd round of the entrance examination cannot be recognized. For the part of the uniform (state) part of the entrance examination mentioned in point 8), the candidate may achieve a maximum of 100 points. The uniform entrance examination from the first round will be recognized, provided that the applicant submits, together with the application for study, the result of the evaluation of the uniform entrance examination from the first round.
If the applicant meets at least one of the criteria listed in points 1-7), he / she will be obliged to pass the school entrance examination 9), resp. the obligation to document the result of the state part of the entrance examination according to point 8) is waived and automatically awarded a point evaluation of 100 points in the overall ranking of candidates.
b) if the candidate does not reach the minimum set point limit of 30 points for the given field of education, then he / she will not meet the criterion for passing the entrance examination and will not be accepted for education.
Based on the points that the candidate receives, the order of the candidates from the best to the worst result is compiled. The primary criterion for ranking candidates is the number of points achieved. If the score is the same, the average benefit according to point 1) rounded to two decimal places is used as a secondary criterion. Pupils who have obtained at least the minimum number of points for a given round and will be placed in the interval from 1st place to a place that corresponds to the order of the candidate who placed last within the remaining capacity (number of vacancies – 1 vacancy for the field of Veterinary Medicine) for the 3rd round of the admission procedure for the given field of education.
You can find more information obout studying at our High School here.