One of the study fields offered by the PRIGO High School is Veterinary Medicine.
43-41-M/01 Veterinary Medicine
Graduates will find employment in the comprehensive block of veterinary-technical activities of an organisational nature and specifically technical jobs as well as in self-employment. Veterinary assistants help veterinarians (under their guidance and responsibility) particularly when monitoring compliance with sanitary conditions in animal husbandry, in production and processing of animal products, when performing allergen diagnostic tests, when inspecting slaughter animals and meat and when carrying out border veterinary inspections. Graduates can work as laboratory assistants or zoo veterinary technicians in livestock and laboratory animal breeding facilities. They will also find employment in breeding establishments, shelters for abandoned animals, stations for endangered species, animal shops, zoos, exotic animal breeding, production and distribution of foodstuffs for animals, product processing on farms, in marketing of veterinary needs, as a self-employed person, etc.
Graduates have the opportunity to find employment in organisations and institutions providing veterinary supervision in processing facilities and in the environmental protection.
After finishing the studies and passing the school-leaving examination successfully, graduates are also ready to study at universities and higher vocational schools.
A part of the education is also the preparation for obtaining the Driving Licence of Category B. During their studies, students can take a course in animal cosmetics, insemination, gamekeeper exams and cloven hoof treatment and obtain the relevant certificates entitling them to perform these activities.
The curriculum and the school educational programme (can be downloaded here – available in the Czech language only).
Admission conditions for full-time education for the 1st round
An applicant can obtain a maximum of 166 points for all parts of the entrance examination: a maximum of 100 points for the state examination and a maximum of 66 points for the school part of the examination. The pupils attending the first round of the entrance examinations will be ranked according to the results of both parts of the examinations. Those students placed between the 1st position and the position corresponding to the ranking of the student placed last within the capacity announced for the 1st round of the admissions for a given subject of study will be admitted to studies. Also those students who have gained the same number of points as the last listed applicant will be admitted to studies as well. The secondary evaluation for determining the order, in case of agreement of the point evaluation, is the average benefit according to point 1 (criteria for recognition of the school entrance exam).
The entrance examination is composed from the evaluation of the following parts:
1) result of the state entrance examination (a maximum of 100 points),
2) result of the school entrance examination (max. 66 points).
The joint (state) entrance examination consists of two didactic tests a) Czech language and literature (a sample here) and b) Mathematics (a sample here). Applicants receive a maximum of 50 points for the individual didactic tests. The highest possible number of points for the state examination is therefore 100 points if the applicant responds correctly to all the questions in both tests. The school entrance examination consists of the General Educational Prerequisites (a sample here). Depending on the test result, applicants can obtain up to 66 points. The information on the preparatory course for the school entrance examination can be found here.
Recognition of the school entrance examination
An applicant may be exempt from attending the entrance examination, receiving the maximum of 66 points without the need to pass the test of general studies requirements, if at least one of the following criteria is met. If there is a request for the recognition of the school part of the entrance examination according to the following points 4 to 8, enclosing a statutory declaration with attachments is a necessary condition (to download from here). The statutory declaration is an integral part of the application.
Criteria for the recognition of the school entrance examination
Field of study: Veterinary Medicine
1) the average school results from all subjects in the eighth and the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.5 (The school results from 2nd half of the 8th grade of the school year 2020/21 and the 1st half of the 9th grade of the school year 2021/22 are documented)
2) the average school results from all subjects in the eighth or the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.4 (The school results from 2nd half of the 8th grade of the school year 2020/21 and the 1st half of the 9th grade of the school year 2021/22 are documented)
3) the average school results from the three out of four following subjects (Czech Language and Literature, English Language, Mathematics, History) in the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.2 and the total school results from all subjects in the eighth and the ninth year did not exceed the value of 1.9 (The school results from 2nd half of the 8th grade of the school year 2020/21 and the 1st half of the 9th grade of the school year 2021/22 are documented)
4) placement on the 1st – 5th place in the regional or district round of the Mathematical, Chemical, Physical or Biological Olympiad, or other competition equivalent to competitions announced by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (such as Mathematical Kangaroo etc.)
5) based on the current and documented membership in Mensa Czech Republic (IQ value is greater than or equal to 130)
6) placed in the top 30% of a logic competition organized by Mensa Czech Republic in a regional round at least once in the course of studies at the elementary school
7) based on the decision made by the headmistress of PRIGO High School by exercising discretion in the recognition of type-equivalent or similar achievements listed in Point 4) worthy of special consideration
Prerequisites for acceptance to the field Veterinary Medicine
1) meeting the criteria of the admission procedure
2) providing of medical report proving the applicant’s medical fitness
You can find more information obout studying at our High School here.